What is Polyester? Polyester Defined...
Polyester can be defined as “long-chain polymers
chemically composed of at least 85% by weight of an ester and a dihydric alcohol
terephthalic acid”. In a nutshell, this means the linking of several esters within the fibers. The reaction of alcohol with carboxylic acid results in the
formation of esters. Polyester can also be easily classified as saturated and unsaturated polyesters.
Characteristics of polyester
- Polyester fabrics and fibers are very strong.
- Polyester is very durable: resistant to most chemicals, stretching and
shrinking, wrinkle resistant, mildew and abrasion resistant.
- Polyester is hydrophobic in nature and quick drying.
- Polyester retains its shape and hence is good for making outdoor
clothing for harsh climates.
- It is easily washed and dried.